The Pride Program
Our LGBTQ+ Pride Program provides guidance in developing coping skills, life balance and other tools needed for support and healthy living. Each patient will receive individual, couple, family and group therapies as appropriate. With a primary counselor, a comprehensive treatment plan is developed and tailored to suit the needs of each patient.
Therapy topics include:
- Health education
- LGBTQ+ issues
- HIV and chronic illness
- Grief and loss
- Women’s group
- Body image group
- Transgender support group
- Relapse prevention
- Cognitive skills education
- Anger management
- Relational and sexual health (includes online safety)
Insurance: Austin Oaks Hospital accepts most major insurance, including Medicare. Travis County residents who meet certain criteria may qualify for financial assistance. Our admissions staff is available to address any concerns you may have about your specific coverage.
The Kindred Program
Austin Oaks recognizes the diversity of LGBTQ+ families. Whether biological, family of choice or a combination, patients are encouraged each week to invite family and friends to a Wednesday or Sunday support group prior to visiting hours.
- Each patient invites their defined family to attend structured education, large-group therapy sessions as part of the Kindred Family Support Groups.
- The Kindred Program is available for supportive kindred family members of our patients and is a great opportunity for family members to begin to see how their lives can change when their loved one is in recovery.
- These groups will be held prior to Family Visitation in the Cafeteria.
Pride Lifers Support Group
Held once a month in the Outpatient Building, this group is therapist led, but is more support-group than educational. There is no charge assessed to past patients who wish to attend and no limit to the amount of time a past patient can attend.